Saturday, December 5, 2009

Sound Success

Has anyone else found some success with using popular songs as a timer for "mundane" activities in the classroom?

I tried using the song "Fireflies" by Owl Moon (with lyrics, without lyrics) as an auditory timer for students who were cutting out their word sorts and it worked like a charm. There seemed to be less chatter, more quiet focus. The task was also completed faster compared to when I just put my online timer up on the screen during the previous week.

One final benefit: There is something eerily peaceful about listening to a class of fifth graders whispering along with a song like this.

I'd love your suggestions if anyone has any...

3 comments:

Sara Tierney said...

I LOVE that idea Jim! I am going to try that this week with our word sorts. I will let you know if I think of other songs to play. I still use Pandora every day but only use classical music so far. Thanks for the suggestion!

Deb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deb said...

Am I suppose to know what a word sort is? Explain (or refresh if that is the case, please). Although seriously we have NO time for any word work. But, I like this a lot....will use it for something....and would like to see more postings of any ideas especially useful with a group of very active children who need a variety of methods to keep them engaged! Thanks!